Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Book Recommendation #3


بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

السلام عليكم 



 I hope a full 2 weeks have passed hehe! 

Book #2

*couldn't find a picture for some reason

Alex Rider


This one's definitely for teens. I have read the entire series, but beware in each book there are some bad words. You can easily skip them, by blacking those bits out.

Age Group: 12-15

Why I dislike this book: Bad words. And it's not for people who dream and scare easily. In some age ratings they do say 10+ but I assume it depends on the child. And obviously their guardian should moderate their books.
What I would change in the book: I would make it kid-friendly, so that younger kids can enjoy it too. The bad language would be removed. Maybe the character would be younger. And what I really like about these books? Their plots. They are somewhat original and they are FASCINATING. I read them usually in one sitting and they're easy to read (for me).


Book #3

Image result for the railway children book full book

They were not railway children to begin with. I don't suppose they had ever thought about railways except as a means of getting to Maskelyne and cook's, the Pantomime, Zoological Gardens and Madame Tussaud's. They were just ordinary suburban children, and they lived with their Father and Mother in an ordinary red-brick-fronted villa, with coloured glass in the front door, a tiled passage that was called a hall, a bathroom with hot and cold water, electric bells, French windows, and a good deal of white paint, and 'every modern convenience', as the house-agents say.

There were three of them. Roberta was the eldest. Of course, Mothers never have favourites, but if their Mother had a favourite, it might have been Roberta. Next came Peter, who wished to be an Engineer when he grew up; and the youngest was Phyllis, who meant extremely well.

Mother did not spend all her time in paying dull calls to dull ladies, and sitting dully at home waiting for dull ladies to pay calls to her. She was almost always there, ready to play with the children, and read to them, and help them to do their home-lessons. Besides this she used to write stories for them while they were at school, and read them aloud after tea, and she always made up funny pieces of poetry for their birthdays  and for other great occasions, such as the christening of new kittens, or the furnishing of the dolls house, or the time when they were getting over the mumps.

These three lucky children always had everything they needed: pretty clothes, good fires, a lovely nursery with heaps of toys, and a Mother Goose wallpaper. They had a kind and merry nursemaid, and a dog who was called James and who was their very own. They also had a Father who was just perfect - never cross, never unjust, and always ready for a game - at least, if at any time he was not ready, he always had an excellent reason for it, and explained the reason to the children so interestingly and funnily that they felt sure he couldn't help himself.

You will think that they ought to have been very happy. And so they were, but they did not know how happy till the pretty life in Edgecombe Villa was over and done with, and they had to live a very different life indeed...


I'm sorry, I couldn't find a good back summary so I went with Amazon's.

Age Group: 8-13
Why I dislike this book: There is a train that goes to London (I think it does) and the children call it the Green Dragon. And they said If it's a magic dragon it will take our love to Father. So they waved. You can skip that part if you are reading aloud.
What I would change in the book: I wouldn't change anything. I think that is the way it should be. Except the part about the magic dragon.

Book #4

Image result for ruby redfort

I didn't know about these books until I saw one of Crafty Muslimah's posts. I have scrambled the Web to find the free books of Ruby Redfort and sadly I have read only the first and the second. I really really like the second book, Ruby Redfort, take your last breath.

Age Group: 10-14
Why I dislike these books: Well, the language isn't great. Some offensive *not too offensive words etc buster, then it's pretty unbelievable. I mean, who on earth can be THAT genius? I know, some people are, but to me it's crazy.
What I would change in the books: I would make the WHEN more clearer. It's set in 1973 but I only found it out when I googled it. ......I am curious.



That is the last book for today inshaa Allaah see you soon!

Before I go, I wanted to tell you all due to popular queries, I have added a gadget on the sidebar for a chat. Just ignore the very first messages haha that were by me - like maimoonah is nice etc because I couldn't think of anything else to put as a test...... at that time. You have an option to chat with me privately. The chat is for suggestions questions etc and anything else. Ummi is also getting a lot of questions asking her what fabric is this in cross stitch - on Instagram because.. well, I'm halfway (quarter-way to be more precise) through a cross stitch pattern which is pretty difficult. I want to get it finished and framed before Eid inshaa Allaah.

Cross stitch comes naturally to me, I was taught a new method of doing cross stitch (unlike my old method when I was smaller) by @sewing.camp. You can find her here.


Maimoonah

2 comments:

Crafty Muslimahs said...

Assalamu Alaikum.
Oh, The Railway Children is such a lovely book, masha'Allah, and the 1970s film does it justice. Also, you've changed your blog background; it looks very nice and relaxing, masha'Allah!

Maimoonah Thadhani said...

Wa alaikum salaam.
Yes I agree. There is also SOMETHING about old books that modern books don't give you. As a child of 8, I used to wish I lived near the green wonderful countryside Enid Blyton described.

I do try and change it every two months, and jazzakallaah khayr for the comment! Also according to google color green is supposed to be emotionally calm and soothing contrasting to red which can cause emotional distress. LOL, I didn't know that before until I looked up relaxing colors. Nor did I expect to find anything!

Maimoonah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...