Sunday, January 27, 2019

Sewing Guide pre-test



بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
السلام عليكم
Well.........................................
If you haven't seen my post about Help this Book, you could check it out now. But I wasn't going to talk about that today. I'm going to talk about... well... check out the video in the link below.
Image result for swiss arabian perfumeIf I sound a bit off, it's because, well... a few years ago a friend gave us a Swiss Arabian small perfume box.
And that is pretty expensive, for a 9 ml bottle. Well, knowing Ramlah, I thought she would do something with the bottle. 

And it turned out I was right. 

...........

....

...She spilled the perfume all over Abi's keyboard. Now the keys from f10 to f12 don't work and the keys from 0 to backspace are extremely stiff, and won't rise as you push them. 
Well.... since the keyboard doesn't work anymore, um, Au revoir?
  No.  I mean Adieu. 

Let's just try and get on with the post. 

So for those of you who prick your finger every time you sew, well, you're better than me. I hate sitting on a table, sewing. I usually take the bed as my sewing space, not a great idea. I once sewed with a very long thread and even though I doubled it, I had to almost stand up to pull the needle through.

And obviously, it made a long, thin scrape on my thigh. Actually, two.

So I wouldn't recommend using long threads haha!

So, how long have I been sewing?

Well, almost four years. Not bad, right? And here's the problem. You would expect me to have a lot of experience. Well, I do:

  • French knots aren't great for me.
  • Embroidery has to be done with embroidery thread and certain types of needles.
  • You can alter most instructions in the way you like.
  • You don't have to go by the book.
  • Sometimes it's better to follow instructions.
    You need to stock up on material.
  • Felt is good, but pretty much for beginners.
  • Some materials are very expensive.
    Decorative tools, such as embroidery scissors are MEGA EXPENSIVE - one scissor cost me 7 dollars, 70 c - 28 QAR!
 But everyone makes mistakes. Everyone does. I remember throwing away a paperish needle-threader just because it was weird hehe!!

What needle do I use?

Well, tempting to say I use a high quality needle, but I don't. I have two types of needle, if you don't count a plastic one that has long since escaped my clutches!

1: Image result for embroidery needle 

The Embroidery needle


2: Image result for small embroidery needle 

The cross-stitch needle


 Actually I have a really tiny cross-stitch needle, more smaller and definitely blunter than the real needle, but when I was sewing with thin thread, the eye broke. Definitely why I said it was tempting to say I have high quality needles.

 Am I good at cross-stitching?

Well... no. It's pretty hard and when you do it from your mind it might drive you crazy, plus I have the cross-stitch fabric known as Aida. Aida is known to have little square holes, pre cut. Aida comes in different hole sizes. 

This is the one I have: 14 count

Image result for aida cloth 

AND SUBHANALLAAH IT'S SO HARD!

If you ever want to sew cross-stitch I'd definitely not recommend this count. 

Start with 6 count,

Image result for aida cloth 

........... or if you feel it's too easy... 10 count.

I can't find a picture of that. Just ask in your local craft/sewing store.

What cutting scissors do I use?

Well, buy a big one, but be sure never to use it for paper/cardboard. Abi and me used it to cut cardboard and paper, and now the blade it dull. The problem is I have no idea how to sharpen it...

And now I'm feeling so sleepy. I think I'll have a Tic-tac, be right back!!

And the mention of Tic tacs brought me to what I wanted to tell you - I am going to be making a tic-tac-toe game - entirely with felt/cloth... and probably rice. Expired rice, I guess. And maybe on the other side a game of... checkers? I wonder if I do have enough expired rice for that, not sure if I have any expired rice at all! Well, I am going to draw out my plan and see if I have a good lot of fabric for that. If I don't, I'll try to use my old, torn up clothes, I think I have about two or three LOL!!

I'll also tell you how to make it and what you need. Not sure I have what I need! If I don't, I'll alter my own instructions, inshaa Allaah.


Deadline...? February the...  1st, as I would have almost a week to finish it. Inshaa Allaah I think you can expect it soon!
Edit: deadline edited for Feb 1st.

I will also try to do a Sewing Guide, based on my experience and projects (acts like I have tons of experience) actually it's just tips and trickzzz.

Well, I had a good half-hour typing this, about five minutes gone thinking of a title. 

Inshaa Allaah see you next week!!

Maimoonah 

P.S: I know, I said about months ago I would try and post book reviews every two weeks or every month! Sorry for the delay, it might come up this week or the next. Not sure of my schedule...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...