Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Book Recommendation #2



 
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم


السلام عليكم
Image result for book recommendation


As you all know, I said in my last Book Recommendation post...
I have decided to make a Book Recommendation Series, uh, every month? Maybe every two weeks as I cannot remember every single book I have read... Plus it's just not book recommending, it's also reviews! If you want to find more of these Book Recommendations *If you are reading this a month later, then click on the tag 'Book Recommendations'.

And we know that's not true. 18th of December - is almost one month,  two weeks and three days past.

I should have posted two weeks and three days ago, but NEVER MIND - THIS POST will probably make up for the time I didn't post. Won't it?

Well, to get on:


Book #1

 Toro Toro

 
Image result for toro toro book














 Antonio lives an idyllic life on his parent's bull farm in Andalucia, Spain. But the idyll is shattered when he realizes that his beloved bull calf, Paco, is destined to the struggle of the bullring. What can he do? He has a plan -- a plan of such daring, it will take enormous courage to see it through. But it is 1936, and the rolling drums of war are echoing across the Spanish plains. Little does Antonio realize the full consequence of his actions - and Paco has a destiny far exceeding Antonio's dreams.

Age Group: I actually wouldn't recommend this to anyone who doesn't like war. Bombing and shooting are involved, but won't horrify a child too much. It would be recommended 8 to 11.

Why I dislike this book: As a ten year old, I enjoyed reading it, but I felt it too harsh to lose a bull you really love and only see it once after you've lost it. Maybe if the author had included more glimpses, it would have been more satisfying. As well as that, there's a short chapter on bull fighting, and a sword. Yes, so in an older book it would have been worse, more detailed. To what I can remember, I did feel sick that bulls were being tortured to death for nothing, just because of the people who like watching man and bull fight. In Islaam, it is NOT allowed to torture animals to death. Period.

What I would change if I could: The details to a more friendly environment, and the ending to a happier one. I also would change the 'crime' the little boy committed on the start of the book - breaking windows isn't nothing, nor is it a huge deal. What about breaking a very expensive vase instead?

************

Book #2
Animal Ark Series

Image result for animal ark classics 

 I have currently 5 books.

Age Group: 8 to 12
Why I dislike these series: I DO NOT dislike these series. It's just that some of them are sad, and Mandy's parents are vets. Sometimes there is surgery involved, though the AUTHORS have smoothed it out so kids don't get upset. And yes, I said AUTHORS. Lucy Daniels is a pen name, meaning a made up name used by the writer/writers instead of their real name. Etc, stage names.
As well as that, the book above - Foals in The Field made me very, very sad. When I was younger, horses were my favourite animal, but now not so favourite. 
What I would change in the book: more details in the book, smaller print size, more advanced words.

**************

Book #3

 The Secret Garden

Image result for the secret garden

When orphaned Mary Lennox comes to live at her uncle's great house on the Yorkshire Moors, she finds it full of secrets. The mansion has nearly one hundred rooms, and her uncle keeps himself locked up. And at night, she hears the sound of crying down one of the long corridors.
The gardens surrounding the large property are Mary's only escape. Then, Mary discovers a secret garden, surrounded by walls and locked with a missing key. With the help of two unexpected companions, Mary discovers a way in—and becomes determined to bring the garden back to life...

Age Group: 8-13
Why I dislike this book: There are mentions of 'Magic'. That is pretty much all, though. Except that I found the beginning too dramatic and tragic, I enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind reading it twice a day.
 What I would change in the book: I would make more mentions of her parents, who died, yet I can understand why the author didn't put them in. I would also make the book slightly simplified, not too much though.

I would recommend you to buy the full version if you have a sibling/child/or-you-are-a-child - IF they/you are over 9 years old and can understand the bigger words.

*************

That's actually it for today, small side note on the previous post - I will not be doing checkers on the other side of the Tic Tac Toe mat I did - I've run out of fleece. YUP - That means I've finished the mat. I am sharing pictures and How To Do It in a few days - 1st February inshaa Allaah. I have a busy day on February LOL - three different, tiring things to do! You'll see what they are - HUGE UPDATE ON 1ST FEBRUARY!!!

***

Will keep you in suspense - remember 1st February.

Until Then,

Assalaamu Alaikum

Maimoonah

P.S: I hope the next book recommendation doesn't take a few months more...

2 comments:

Crafty Muslimahs said...

Masha'Allah, another lovely book recommendations post! We are big fans of Michael Morpurgo. Looking forward to the craft reveal, insha'Allah!

Maimoonah Thadhani said...

Jazzakallaah Khayr! I too, am waiting - for yours lol!

Inshaa Allaah two days more!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...